MEACO Subspecialty Societies' Development
On the 27th of March 2009, during the 10th MEACO congress in Bahrain, the council launched five subspecialty societies. These are the Middle East Africa Cataract and refractive Surgery Society (MEACRS), Middle East Africa Glaucoma Society (MEAGS), Middle East Africa Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus society (MEAPOSS), Middle East Africa Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (MEASOPRS) and Middle East Africa Vitreo retinal Society (MEAVRS).
We are proud to announce that from the launch of the subspecialty societies to date we have had a very positive response with many registered founding members across the five subspecialty societies. As expected, the cataract and refractive surgery society (MEACRS) was the most popular, followed by the Vitreo retinal society (MEAVRS). All members who register from henceforth shall be called Members.
At the launch, there were 5 independent subspecialty sessions where all those interested or practising the subspecialty met and had a chance to discuss how they wanted their society to be structured and how they saw its mission and future activities. There were healthy discussions which gave the MEACO executive board many viewpoints on some essential elements of the society’s e.g. Executive positions, Eligibility to be on the subspecialty society boards etc. From information provided by the founding members during the launch, we noted the following:
- Membership of the societies is made up of anyone who is interested in the subspecialty whether he is trained, practicing or neither.
- Interestingly, members not formally trained constitute only 6% in the Vitreo retinal society, 13% in the pediatric and oculoplasty societies, 20 % in Corneal and refractive surgery society and 40% in the Glaucoma society
MEACO Executive Board Decisions
- Eligibility for membership
MEACO Executive Board has decided to respect the wishes of the majority of members and develop the subspecialty societies on an all inclusive principle, i.e. all ophthalmologists will be called members.
- Eligibility for board membership
MEACO executive board has agreed that.
- Anyone can nominate himself to the board.
- Only subspecialists will be allowed in the following positions:
- Vice President (President-Elect)
- Secretary General
- Chair of (Scientific Committee)
- MEACO executive board shall nominate an interim board for each subspecialty society to oversee the affairs of the societies.
- These interim boards shall set up criteria and conduct the election of the board of each society