2009 – Bahrain
The MEACO congresses have grown from strength to strength since its first Congress in 1990. The 10th International Congress, held in Bahrain in March 2009 in collaboration with the ICO and AAO, received a very positive response from participants and attendees alike, and proved to be one of the most successful MEACO meetings.
- 180 international speakers
- 370 regional speakers
- 120 scientific sessions
- 72 Symposia, 35 Instructional Courses, More than
160 E - Posters,40 Videos
- AAO, ICO, ISRS/AAO, ECSRS and IAPB
organized exclusive sessions
- Live surgeries transmitted through satellite
- 30 CME /PD credits granted by the Saudi
Council for Health Specialists
- 100 companies from 25 countries exhibited in the technical
exhibition, covering an area of over 2200 m
For the first time in the region’s history, MEACO also successfully joined the American Academy in the AAO-MEACO Joint Meeting that was held in Chicago from 16-19 October 2010 making this the 11th International Congress of MEACO. It was reported that the advance registration showed a 60% increase in participation from the MEACO region in 2010 Joint meeting.
The 12th International Congress of MEACO was held during the World Ophthalmology Congress® 2012, from 16-20 February 2012. The congress brought together 2200 international speakers with 60 international ophthalmic societies that organized more than 415 Scientific Sessions. This is the first time the WOC has been hosted in the Middle East or Africa and it brought together a truly international audience to explore insights into the latest ophthalmology technologies and trends. The WOC2012 saw an attendance of more than 10,000 participants representing over 136 countries.
During the WOC 2012, MEACO co-organized the WOC2012 Subspecialty Day held on Thursday, 16 February. The following MEACO subspecialties participated in the different sessions:
1. Middle East Africa Cataract and Refractive Surgery Society (MEACRS)
2. Middle East Africa Glaucoma Society (MEAGS)
3. Middle East Africa Oculoplastic Society (MEAOPS)
4. Middle East Africa Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus Society (MEAPOSS)
5. Middle East Africa Vitreoretinal Society (MEAVRS)